Welcome back to Possibility Storm for another week of Magic puzzles!
This week brings the first puzzle from our Core Set 2020 season, and it’s a bit of a spicy one! Break out the rules manual and see if you can put this one together. There are actually two slightly different ways of doing it – better than just finding one, can you find both?
(Click to enlarge)
1. Cast Thud, sacrificing Embodiment of Agonies to deal 3 damage to your opponent, taking them to 10.
2. Cast Spark Harvest, sacrificing Wily Goblin to destroy your Dreadhorde Butcher, targeting the opponent with its trigger to deal 1 damage to them, taking them to 9.
3. Cast Chamber Sentry for X=0, it dies as soon as it enters the battlefield.
4. Cast Brought Back to return Embodiment of Agonies to the battlefield. Embodiment counts nine different costs in the graveyard and enters as a 9/9. You can return something else if you like too, but nothing else that hit the bin this turn matters to the solution. (You don't need the treasure from Wily Goblin, Dreadhorde Butcher can't attack or Lyra gains the opponent life, and Chamber Sentry would just die again.)
5. Attack with Dreadhorde Arcanist. With its attack trigger, choose to cast Thud for free, sacrificing your 9/9 Embodiment of Agonies to deal a lethal 9 damage to the opponent before blocks are declared.
There's actually a slightly different line that works on this one too. Can you find it? Hint: It uses all the same cards, just with different targets.[collapse]
Check out how our Core Set 2020 Top 8 is shaping up so far this season, as well as their points.
- Eric Fletcher: 1.5
- Ethan Brown: 1.4
- Matthew Williams: 1.4
- Allen Smith: 1.3
- Christian John Hazlett: 1.3
- Justin Francis: 1.2
- Tyler Marklyn: 1.2
- Marcelo Cruzalegui: 1.1
See the complete M20 season leaderboard here.
Thanks for playing and tune in again next week!